I love to eat pomegranates in the fall. It reminds me of my childhood. Every fall we would each get a pomegranate and sit outside on the lawn picking out the seeds and making a huge mess. This salad is a leafy salad with pomegranates and feta cheese. It’s surprisingly good, and very festive with the red and green.
- 1 Bag of tender spring greens OR a selection of your own salad leaves, including Radicchio and Lambs’ Lettuce. I love to mix in butter lettuce, and baby spinach, it's my favorite.
- A handful of chopped feta (or goat which is milder)
- Seeds of 1 Pomegranate
- Black pepper, to taste
- Start out by preparing your salad; equal portions of any leafy types will work well together, but try and include some bitter varieties in there.
- Next add a handful of chopped feta, the seeds from 1 pomegranate, and about 1/2 the juice.
- Toss lightly then finish with a twist of black pepper.
Health Benefits of Pomegranates (Super Heart Healthy Food)
- Being rich in antioxidants, pomegranate can keep LDL (bad cholesterol) from oxidizing and thus, prevents atherosclerosis.
- Pomegranate has been found to help keep blood platelets from clumping together and forming unnecessary clots.
- Regular consumption of pomegranate juice is said to be beneficial for those suffering from heart diseases.
- Researches have indicated that pomegranate compounds might prevent prostate cancer and even slowdown its growth.
- Pomegranate juice has also been associated with reducing the risk of breast cancer.
- Pomegranate is said to be good for reducing plaque in the arteries and raising levels of HDL (good cholesterol).
- It has been seen that pomegranate juice helps prevent heart attacks and even stroke.
- Consumption of pomegranate might prevent and even slow down Alzheimer's disease.
- Pomegranate juice is associated with lowering of blood pressure as well as better oral health.